It is during the month of May that the hot climate starts to become unbearable. During this, one thinks about going to a hill station and waiting out the end of summer leisurely. Not saying that that is a bad option but another thing you can do during summers is go on a trek. May is the time when nature is truly blooming. Spring season makes the greenery of hills utterly mesmerizing. Trekking in India in May is sure to leave you refreshed and rejoiced. Below is a carefully curated list of Top 10 trekking ideas in May.
Himalayan Treks in May are:
Best Treks in May in Himalayas are:
1. GAUMUKH TAPOVAN TREK: Trekking to Gaumukh and Tapovan will be an adventurous and thrilling journey. The highest point of this trek rises at an altitude of 14,600 ft. The trek starts from Gangotri, leading to Gaumukh, and then finally to Tapovan. The trail of this trek passes nearby to the Gangotri glacier which is the source of the holy river Ganges. This is a perfect trek for people who are interested in Hindu Mythology As this is a high-altitude trek you will need to get acclimated. Clearly, you should have experience of going on a high-altitude trek before you opt to go for this one. The summer season will make the trail of the trek more beautiful and also a bit easy. This is a perfect trek for people who are looking for some adrenaline rush.
2. FRIENDSHIP PEAK TREK: One of the best treks to go for in May is the Friendship Peak Trek. The peak is part of Pir Pranjal ranges, towering up to an altitude of 14,075 ft. Located in Manali, this trek is for experienced trekkers only, as getting acclimated will be important for this trek. This summer trek will take through Solang valley, leading up to green meadows, and lush grasslands. As you gain a little height, you will see the beautiful, green valleys stretching below you. The greenery will finally give way to snow laden path as you start moving closer to the top of the mountain. You will see Pir Pranjal ranges, and the peak of Hanuman Tibba when you reach the top of the mountain. Snow-clad mountains all around you, will be an alluring sight. The way to the top is quite hard so make sure you are prepared for hard physical activity before you decide to go on this trek.
3. ROOPKUND TREK: For an amazing experience of trekking in May you should definitely consider going for Roopkund trek. The things that this trek has to offer are numerous and frankly a little bizarre. Around 500 skeletons are lying at the edge of Roopkund lake, and no concrete theory has been formed regarding their presence. Apart from this really weird aspect the trek actually is very beautiful. During this trek you get to walk through two beautiful alpine meadows- Ali Bugyal and Bedni Bugyal. The walk amidst colourful flowers and lush greenery will sure stir joy in your heart. The highest point of Roopkund trek rises to an altitude of 15,696 ft. The trail of this trek requires traversing through snow-laden path, the trail gets rocky as well and therefore, this trek is not recommended for inexperienced trekkers.
4. RUPIN PASS TREK: One of the exciting treks in May that one can choose to go on is Rupin Pass trek. With a peak that rises up to an altitude of 15,250 ft., Rupin pass trek has lots of things to boast about.
During this trek you will pass through dense forests, and vast meadows, and along with that you will get to see numerous waterfalls as you make your way to the top. Amongst so many waterfalls the three-stage waterfall of Rupin stands apart.Along with all these you get to see hanging villages during the trek. From the top of the mountain you will the majestic Kailash peak standing in front of you. There aren’t many treks in India during which you get to witness such glories of nature. This one is a must for any trekking enthusiast, of course after he/she has gained some trekking experience.5. DAYARA BUGYAL TREK: Trekking through a Bugyal (meadow) is probably one of the best things you can do if you love green surroundings. The highest point of this trek rises up to 12,100 ft. You will experience something truly magical if you decide to go for this trek during summers. Your path will comprise of walking through forests which eventually pave way to an open, green meadow. You will be surrounded by greenery and colourful flowers. The view from the top will look over the green Bugyal, and in front you will see Black peak, and peaks of Gangotri and Bandarpoonch rising gloriously. The trek will truly be a very rewarding experience.
6. SANDAKPHU TREK: Sandakphu trek being so famous amongst trekkers cannot be left out of trek tours in May. While during winters you will find forests and meadows covered with snow, you will be able to experience the true beauty of nature if you decide to go on this trek during summers. The peak of Sandakphu is the highest in West Bengal, rising at a height of 12,000 ft. It is during the month of May that the forests comprising of Rhododendrons and magnolias bloom into their best version. Also, during this enchanting trek you get to see the peaks of Mt Everest, Mt Kanchenjunga, Lhotse, and Makalu- some of the highest peaks of the world. Apart from all this you also get to see a beautiful lake nestled amidst mountains during this trek. Truly, this trek is a nothing less than a paradise for trek enthusiast.
7. GOECHALA TREK: Located in Sikkim, the Goechala peak rises up to an altitude of 15,100 ft. This trek is one of the most popular trekking destinations for trekking aficionados. Obviously, nothing can be compared to walking in a forest of rhododendrons when the pink flowers will be blooming. The trail of the trek is actually quite pleasing and alluring. The shadow of Mt Kanchenjunga will be presiding over the trail of your trek. You will pass the beautiful lake of Samiti on your way to the top. From the top of the mountain, you will be able to see the peak of Kanchenjunga properly. The view from the top is sure to make this trek worth your while.
8. PANGARCHULLA TREK: Pangarchulla trek can be ventured upon throughout the year, but if you are a beginner a summer trek will be more suitable for you. The peak of Pangarchulla rises at an altitude of 14,700 ft., being at the top of this mountain thus will provide you with mesmerizing views. During this trek you pass through enchanting forests of rhododendrons and vast, green meadows. Nature will be at its best during the month of May. Walking amidst green paths is all one needs to calm the mind. The view from the top as well will be utterly rewarding, and you will be going back home with a lot of beautiful memories.
9. DEVKYARA TREK: One can enjoy walking through meadows and forests during the months of May and April only. Summers is the time to look forward to when you are planning for a trek. Devkyara trek is other such treks which provides you with enchanting views of nature. The peak of Devkyara rises to an altitude of 12, 763 ft. The trail takes you through lush, green meadows, and dense forests, both which make sure that your journey is pleasant and picturesque throughout the way. When you reach the top of the mountain you can witness a number of peaks standing in front of you, all covered in snow. Now, this will definitely be a satisfying journey. For those who love greenery, these treks will be nothing less than finding paradise. While everyone has their own preferences, forest and meadow trails are enchanting and exquisite. Seeing greenery all around can calm the mind immensely, so waste no more time and find the perfect trek for yourself.