Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
Sikkim | 10D/9N | 17,060 Ft.
April – June and September – November
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Difficult
- Group Size Medium Group
The Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek is a doorway to the third highest mountain in the world, and the highest mountain in India, and offers a once in a lifetime glimpse at the mighty Himalayan giant up close. Feel the entanglements of your heart fade away as you witness that first ray of sunlight bathing the peak in a golden hue. Tracing the path to the famous Goecha La Pass, the trail to Kanchenjunga Base Camp winds though pristine alpine forests carpeted by blooming rhododendrons, orchids and other beautiful floral species. Climbing up to over 5,000 meters, the trek exposes you to some extreme temperatures and tricky sections to traverse, but the rewards are worth all the efforts you take. Unfurling under the unwavering gaze of Mt. Kanchenjunga, the Kanchenjunga Base Camp trek is on the top of every trekker’s bucket list, as it should be. Come, take a few days off from the maddening monotony of life, and rediscover yourself amidst the sweeping realm of the Himalayas.
Max. Altitude – 5,200 meters
Duration – 11 days
Level – Moderate
1. The trek gives you unmatched views of the majestic Mt. Kanchendzonga, rising up in entirety.
2. Follow the popular Goechala trail, winding through dense alpine forests, home to countless floral species.
- All accommodation during the trek on sharing basis in tents/homestays
- All meals during the trek – Vegetarian
- Tents, Sleeping bags and all other Camping Gear (Dining Tent, Tiolet Tent etc)
- Safety Equipment (Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinders, Oximeter etc.)
- Services of our expert Trek Leader
- Services of an Expert Trekking Team (Guides, Cooks, Helpers, Porters/Mules)
- Trekking Permits and Forest Camping Charges (For Indians Only)
- A Life Changing Experience
- GST and Other Taxes (As applicable, Subjected to change according to Govt. Rules)
- Food in Yuksom and During transit from NJP to Yuksom and vice versa
- Trekking Permits and Forest Camping charges for Foreigner’s (If extra compared for Indian Citizens)
- Backpack Offloading Charges (Portage of Personal Bags)
- Personal Trekking Gear
- Travel Expenses from NJP to Yuksom and vice versa
- Tips for local team
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, Bottled Water etc
- Any Requirement for Single Room/Single Tent Accommodation
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control
- Anything which is not mentioned in Inclusions
Day 1 Reach Yuksom
Drive from Siliguri to Yuksom.
Day 2 Trek from Yuksom to Bhakkhim
Time Taken: 5 hrs
Day 3 Trek from Bhakkim to Phedang
Altitude: 3,483 m
Distance: 5 km
Time Taken: 4 hrs
Day 4 Trek from Phedang to Dzongri
Altitude: 4,000 m
Distance: 4 km
Time Taken: 2 – 3 hrs
Day 5 Acclimatisation Day at Dzongri; Excursion to Laxmi Pokhari
Day 6 Trek from Dzongri to Bikhbari
Distance: 12 km
Time Taken: 4 – 5 hrs
Day 7 Acclimatisation day; Excursion to Chaurikhang & Rathong Glacier
Time Taken: 5 – 6 hrs
Day 8 Trek from Bikhbari to Bhakkim
Day 9 Trek from Bhakkim to Yuksom
Day 10 Drive from Yuksom to Darjeeling
The level of this trek leans more towards moderate level of difficulty, which naturally demands exceptional physical fitness, stamina and endurance. It is strongly advisable to have prior trekking experience of scaling at least 3,500 meters before you approach this trek, which means beginners should stay away. Also, proper acclimatization is key for successful completion of the trek.
The months of June to October are ideal for the trek, when a lush carpet of greenery and floral species cover the valley. Monsoons should be avoided, as the trail is slippery, and it makes the area prone to landslides.
The nearest airport to Yuksom is Bagdogra (IXB), which is well connected to other major cities the country like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore and Chandigarh.
The nearest railway station to Yuksom is New Jalpaiguri (195 km), from where you can board cab fro Yuksom.
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines.
For a complete checklist, go to Trekmunk Checklist.