Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
Sikkim | 10D/9N | 17,060 Ft.
April – June and September – November
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 3584.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Difficult
- Group Size Medium Group
All about the Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek.
The Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek is a doorway to the third highest mountain in the world, and the highest mountain in India, and offers a once in a lifetime glimpse at the mighty Himalayan giant up close. Feel the entanglements of your heart fade away as you witness that first ray of sunlight bathing the peak in a golden hue. Tracing the path to the famous Goecha La Pass, the trail to Kanchenjunga Base Camp winds though pristine alpine forests carpeted by blooming rhododendrons, orchids and other beautiful floral species. Climbing up to over 5,000 meters, the trek exposes you to some extreme temperatures and tricky sections to traverse, but the rewards are worth all the efforts you take. Unfurling under the unwavering gaze of Mt. Kanchenjunga, the Kanchenjunga Base Camp trek is on the top of every trekker’s bucket list, as it should be. Come, take a few days off from the maddening monotony of life, and rediscover yourself amidst the sweeping realm of the Himalayas.
Max. Altitude – 5,200 meters
Duration – 11 days
Level – Moderate
1. The trek gives you unmatched views of the majestic Mt. Kanchendzonga, rising up in entirety.
2. Follow the popular Goechala trail, winding through dense alpine forests, home to countless floral species.
Day 1 : Reach Yuksom
Drive from Siliguri to Yuksom.
Day 2 : Trek from Yuksom to Bhakkhim
Time Taken: 5 hrs
Day 3 : Trek from Bhakkim to Phedang
Altitude: 3,483 m
Distance: 5 km
Time Taken: 4 hrs
Day 4 : Trek from Phedang to Dzongri
Altitude: 4,000 m
Distance: 4 km
Time Taken: 2 – 3 hrs
Day 5 : Acclimatisation Day at Dzongri; Excursion to Laxmi Pokhari
Day 6 : Trek from Dzongri to Bikhbari
Distance: 12 km
Time Taken: 4 – 5 hrs
Day 7 : Acclimatisation day; Excursion to Chaurikhang & Rathong Glacier
Time Taken: 5 – 6 hrs
Day 8 : Trek from Bikhbari to Bhakkim
Day 9 : Trek from Bhakkim to Yuksom
Day 10 : Drive from Yuksom to Darjeeling
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise. Accommodation in Yuksom is included in the package.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Food in Yuksom: Food in Yuksom is not included in the package. We can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from NJP to Yuksom and vice versa is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
Whom is the trek for?
The level of this trek leans more towards moderate level of difficulty, which naturally demands exceptional physical fitness, stamina and endurance. It is strongly advisable to have prior trekking experience of scaling at least 3,500 meters before you approach this trek, which means beginners should stay away. Also, proper acclimatization is key for successful completion of the trek.
Which is the best season for this trek?
The months of June to October are ideal for the trek, when a lush carpet of greenery and floral species cover the valley. Monsoons should be avoided, as the trail is slippery, and it makes the area prone to landslides.
How to reach Yuksom?
By Air The nearest airport to Yuksom is Bagdogra (IXB), which is well connected to other major cities the country like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore and Chandigarh. By Rail The nearest railway station to Yuksom is New Jalpaiguri (195 km), from where you can board cab fro Yuksom.
What things are needed to be carried?
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines. For a complete checklist, download the checklist from the footer.