Sikkim | 10D/9N | 16,200 Ft.
April – May and September – November
(Above mentioned cost is for 8 or more people)
- Reviews 2 Reviews5/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Medium Group
Cant wait to open the cap of your bottled adrenaline rush? This is just the perfect trek for all you adventure junkies out there. Providing you with equal doses of challenges and overwhelming views, Goechala is known as one of the preferred destinations amongst the trekkers in India. Test yourself in the arousing spirits of Sikkim, standing on Goecha La at 16,200feet, onlooking the massive Kanchenjunga and eyeing the Goecha lake with its tear shaped structure. The trail takes you through snow capped gigantic Himalayas, verdant Himalayan forest, meandering rivers, fringes of rhododendron trees, beautiful orchards, the list just keeps going on. Enjoy the misty taste of mountain fog when you climb the summit with tears of achievement in your eyes.
- All accommodation during the trek on sharing basis in tents/homestays
- All meals during the trek – Vegetarian
- Tents, Sleeping bags and all other Camping Gear (Dining Tent, Tiolet Tent etc)
- Safety Equipment (Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinders, Oximeter etc.)
- Services of our expert Trek Leader
- Services of an Expert Trekking Team (Guides, Cooks, Helpers, Porters/Mules)
- Trekking Permits and Forest Camping Charges
- A Life Changing Experience
- GST and Other Taxes (As applicable, Subjected to change according to Govt. Rules)
- Food in Yuksom and During transit from NJP to Yuksom and vice versa
- Backpack Offloading Charges
- Personal Trekking Gear
- Travel Expenses from NJP to Yuksom and vice versa
- Tips for local team
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, Bottled Water etc
- Any Requirement for Single Room/Single Tent Accommodation
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control
- Anything which is not mentioned in Inclusions
- Day 1 Drive from New Jalpaiguri to Yuksom
We will pick you from New Jalpaiguri and drive to Yuksom(5800 feet) in West Sikkim. This will be a 6 hour drive to the base camp. Yuksom also marks the entrance of Kangchenjunga National Park.
- Day 2 Trek from Yuksom to Tshoka
Waking up in the morning, start ascending uphill and follow the gorges of the Rathong River. Trekking through the lush thickets of magnolia, rhododendron, and ferns, proceed towards the Paha Khola Bridge. On the way, relish a packed lunch and keep yourself energized for the rest of the trek; be prepared to spot exotic orchids, colorful flowers, and monkeys along the hike!
This day will be a tough one with a steep ascent from Sachen at 7200 feet to Tshoka at 9650 feet above sea level. This usually takes about 4-5 hours to complete. We will enjoy the serene beauty of Yuksom valley en route and stay overnight at Tshoka.
- Day 3 Trek from Tshoka to Dzongri
Post breakfast, get prepared for another scenic uphill trek, and with this trek, you will be crossing 4,000m in the Himalayas! With this remarkable feat, enjoy your packed lunch and relax around the scenic vistas to get , to the higher altitudes. A further climb after relaxation will finally take you to the Dzongri overnight campsite area, from where you can have , views of the Koktang, Rathong, Kabru, Khangchendzonga, Simvo and Pandim peaks.
- Day 4 Dzongri Rest Day
We will stay at Dzongri to acclimatize better for further high altitude.
- Day 5 Trek from Dzongri to Thansing via Dzongri Top
Starting with a gradual ascent, today you will climb around 1mile and advent towards a low-ridge (13,500ft), from where the chortens and the colourful prayer flags overtakes the views! The astounding views of the Kanchenjunga and Pandim peaks will keep you enchanted all through the way.
Hereafter, the trek starts descending down towards Pandim and will take you through rhododendron forests and the Prek Chu River.
- Day 6 Trek from Thansing to Lamuney
Lamuney takes about 2 hours walk from Thangsing and Shortens the route to high altitude Goechela Trek. Located at a distance of 4 kilometers. Enchanting Samiti Lake Take just 45 minutes climb from here. If you don’t feel tired you can climb up to the Lake which is on the way to Goechela but if you prefer to rest at Lamuney you can enjoy the sanctity of Lake the other day because you will be going through the side of the Lake to Goechela.
- Day 7 Trek from Lamuney to Goecha La then back to Thansing
Start the day early in order to avoid the harsh climatic conditions that might hinder your course in the latter part of the day. Climbing uphill through the moraines, you will then be descending to the Samiti Lake and then cross the Zemathang Plateau. From here, you will once again start ascending over a moraine and after trekking for around 1 hour, will reach the Goecha La Pass.
Arriving at this magnificent pass, behold the magical views of the Kanchenjunga and other distant peaks before you start moving back towards Lamuney for an overnight stay at the campsite.
- Day 8 Trek from Thansing to Tshokha
Waking up early in the morning, enjoy the enchanting views of the Kanchenjunga Peak from a nearby ridge and start trekking back towards Tshoka. Today, you will be taking a route through the Dzongri Plateau in order to avoid the long climb. The trail passes through Prek Chu and the deciduous forests of Phedang. Arriving in Tshoka, settle down in the overnight stay camps.
- Day 9 Trek from Tshokha to Yuksom
Descend through the same route that you ascended earlier from Yuksom to Tshoka will reach you to Yuksom in the afternoon time.
- Day 10 Depart from Yuksom
After having breakfast in the hotel, prepare your bags and check-out from the hotel. With this, the amazing Goecha La trek will come to an end.
Goechala is a 8 day trek, a difficult one. You have to be really adventurous and fit to complete as well as enjoy it. This trek is for regular trekkers, as the days are longer, climb is steep and the mighty view of Kangchenjunga is a real killer.
The trek has two seasons. April and May for the snow and jungles full of rhododendrons, September and October for the photographic clear views. It is a trek worth doing at both times.
After the base camp, there will be no network as you go deep in to the mighty mountains.
This is an adventure of a lifetime. The enthralling walk in the Tshoka Rhododendron forests, the mystifying blue waters of Samiti lake, the wide Dzongri and Thansing pastures, the menacing existence of Kanchejunga and Pandim and the frosty track; all make Goechala trek, one of the most romantic trek of Himalayan range. Then what are you waiting for?
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines.
For a complete checklist, go to Trekmunk Checklist.