Everest Base Camp via Gokyo Ri
Nepal | 18D/17N | 18,200 Ft.
March – May and September – October
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 312 Reviews4.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Small Group
All about the Everest Base Camp via Gokyo Ri.
Undeniably the world’s most sought after trekking destination, the Everest Base Camp tops the bucket list of every trekker. And for good reason, for it poses as a great vantage point to some of the highest mountains in the world- Everest, Cho Oyu, Makalu and Lhotse! The view of the looming Mount Everest, and the infamous Khumbhu Icefall from Kala Patthar (5,500 m) is enough to entrance your mind, body and soul.
The rocky terrain, cold weather, and stark high altitudes, make the trek moderately challenging. The beauty of lesser-known route of Gokyo Ri surpasses that of every other trail. This route takes you through 5 mesmerizing alpine lakes including towered by the mighty Mount Cho Oyu. Catch the stunning Ngozumpa glacier in all its glory, cradled by the lofty Himalayan behemoths.
Max Altitude: 18,200 ft.
Duration: 18 days
- Behold the magnificent Mount Everest, along with other eight-thousanders like Cho Oyu, Lhotse, and Makalu.
- Trek to the stunning glacial lakes of Gokyo.
- Sneak a peek of the Ngozumpa glacier, the longest one in the Himalayas.
- Avoid the crowded EBC route, and explore the beauty of the Gokyo Ri trail.
- Interact with potential Everest summiteers at EBC!
Day 1 : Arrive at Kathmandu (4,600 ft.)
Day 2 : Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla. Trek from Lukla to Phakding
Altitude Change: 9,300 ft to 8,600 ft
Distance: 9 km
Time: 5 hours
Day 3 : Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar
Altitude Change: 8,600 ft to 11,290 ft
Distance: 10 km
Time: 6 – 7 hours
Day 4 : Rest and acclimatise at Namche Bazaar
Day 5 : Trek from Namche Bazaar to Phortse Thanga
Altitude Change: 11,290 ft to 12,000 ft
Distance: 9-10 km
Time: 6 hours
Day 6 : Trek from Phortse Thanga to Macchermo via Dole and Lafarma
Altitude Change: 12,000 ft to 14,600 ft
Time: 5-6 hours
Day 7 : Trek from Macchermo to Gokyo
Altitude Change: 14,600 ft to 15,744 ft
Time: 6-7 hours
Day 8 : Trek from Gokyo to Thangna via Gokyo Ri
Altitude Change: 14,600 ft to 17,575 ft (Gokyo Ri); 15,580 (Thangna)
Time: 9 hours
Day 9 : Rest and acclimatise at Thangna
Day 10 : Trek from Thangna to Dzongla via Cho-la Pass
Altitude Change: 15,580 ft to 17,604 ft (Cho-La Pass) to 15,900 ft (Dzongla)
Distance: 9-10 km
Time: 9-10 hours
Day 11 : Trek form Dzongla to Lobuche
Altitude Change: 15,900 ft to 16,200 ft
Time: 3 hours
Day 12 : Trek from Lobuche to Gorakshep. Day excursion to Everest Base Camp
Altitude Change: 16,200 ft to 16,900 ft
Time: 3 hours
Day 13 : Trek to Kala Patthar, then Gorakshep to Pheriche
Altitude Change: 16,900 ft to 14,070 ft (Pheriche); Kala Patthar (18,200 ft)
Time: 8-9 hours
Day 14 : Trek from Pheriche to Tengboche
Altitude Chnage: 14,070 ft to 12,664
Distance: 3 km
Time: 4-5 hours
Day 15 : Trek from Tengboche to Namche Bazaar
Altitude Change: 12,664 ft to 11,290 ft
Time: 4 hours
Day 16 : Trek from Namche Bazaar to Lukla
Altitude Change: 11,290 ft to 9,300 ft
Time: 7 – 8 hours
Day 17 : Buffer Day
Day 18 : Fly from Lukla to Kathmandu. Depart from Kathmandu
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Accommodation and Food in Kathmandu: Food and stay in Kathmandu are not included in the package. You can book your hotels or homestays in Pokhara, we can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from home to Kathmandu and vice versa is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
Questions about the Trek
Whom is the trek for?
The level of this trek leans towards difficult, which naturally demands exceptional physical fitness, stamina and endurance. It is strongly advisable to have prior trekking experience of scaling at least 4,000 meters before you approach this trek, which means beginners should ideally stay away. Also, proper acclimatization is key here, which helps you better adjust to the high altitude and lower oxygen levels during the trek.
What is the best season for the trek?
The best time for Everest Base Camp is from March to May, and September to October. The snow clears up a little, and the trail becomes clearer. Winters in this region are extremely harsh and cold, hence should be avoided.
How to reach the base camp Lukla?
Fly from Kathmandu Daily flights fly from Kathmandu to Lukla, though these flights are subject to weather conditions. Which means flight delays are possible. Try to book the very first flight from Kathmandu. From Bagdogra Fly to Bagdogra, West Bengal, post which you head to Paani Tanki to cross the border and reach Kakarbhitta in Nepal. From Kakarbhitta, reach Kathmandu by an evening bus. This is a 12-13 hour journey. Again, fly from Kathmandu to Lukla. From Gorakhpur Cross the border from Gorakhpur, and board a bus to Kathmandu. Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla
What will the accommodation be like?
The accommodation will be in mountain lodges and tea houses almost throughout the trek.
What things are needed to be carried?
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines. For a complete checklist, download the checklist from the footer.