Everest Base Camp via Gokyo Ri
Nepal | 18D/17N | 18,200 Ft.
March – May and September – October
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Small Group
Undeniably the world’s most sought after trekking destination, the Everest Base Camp tops the bucket list of every trekker. And for good reason, for it poses as a great vantage point to some of the highest mountains in the world- Everest, Cho Oyu, Makalu and Lhotse! The view of the looming Mount Everest, and the infamous Khumbhu Icefall from Kala Patthar (5,500 m) is enough to entrance your mind, body and soul.
The rocky terrain, cold weather, and stark high altitudes, make the trek moderately challenging. The beauty of lesser-known route of Gokyo Ri surpasses that of every other trail. This route takes you through 5 mesmerizing alpine lakes including towered by the mighty Mount Cho Oyu. Catch the stunning Ngozumpa glacier in all its glory, cradled by the lofty Himalayan behemoths.
Max Altitude: 18,200 ft.
Duration: 18 days
- Behold the magnificent Mount Everest, along with other eight-thousanders like Cho Oyu, Lhotse, and Makalu.
- Trek to the stunning glacial lakes of Gokyo.
- Sneak a peek of the Ngozumpa glacier, the longest one in the Himalayas.
- Avoid the crowded EBC route, and explore the beauty of the Gokyo Ri trail.
- Interact with potential Everest summiteers at EBC!
- All accommodation during the trek on sharing basis in tents/homestays
- All meals during the trek – Vegetarian
- Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and vice versa
- Safety Equipment (Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinders, Oximeter etc.)
- Services of our expert Trek Leader
- Services of an Expert Trekking Team (Guides, Porters/Mules)
- Trekking Permits and Forest Camping Charges (For Indians Only)
- A Life Changing Experience
- GST and Other Taxes (As applicable, Subjected to change according to Govt. Rules)
- Trekking Permits and Forest Camping charges for Foreigner’s (If extra compared for Indian Citizens)
- Backpack Offloading Charges (Portage of Personal Bags)
- Food in Kathmandu
- Personal Trekking Gear
- Travel Expenses to and fro Kathmandu from home city
- Tips for local team
- Any kind of entry fees for Monasteries and Museums
- Expenses due to Telephone and Wifi usage in Teahouses
- Any Transportation expenses due to evacuation in emergencies
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, Bottled Water etc
- Any Requirement for Single Room/Single Tent Accommodation
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control
- Anything which is not mentioned in Inclusions
Day 1 Arrive at Kathmandu (4,600 ft.)
Day 2 Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla. Trek from Lukla to Phakding
Altitude Change: 9,300 ft to 8,600 ft
Distance: 9 km
Time: 5 hours
Day 3 Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar
Altitude Change: 8,600 ft to 11,290 ft
Distance: 10 km
Time: 6 – 7 hours
Day 4 Rest and acclimatise at Namche Bazaar
Day 5 Trek from Namche Bazaar to Phortse Thanga
Altitude Change: 11,290 ft to 12,000 ft
Distance: 9-10 km
Time: 6 hours
Day 6 Trek from Phortse Thanga to Macchermo via Dole and Lafarma
Altitude Change: 12,000 ft to 14,600 ft
Time: 5-6 hours
Day 7 Trek from Macchermo to Gokyo
Altitude Change: 14,600 ft to 15,744 ft
Time: 6-7 hours
Day 8 Trek from Gokyo to Thangna via Gokyo Ri
Altitude Change: 14,600 ft to 17,575 ft (Gokyo Ri); 15,580 (Thangna)
Time: 9 hours
Day 9 Rest and acclimatise at Thangna
Day 10 Trek from Thangna to Dzongla via Cho-la Pass
Altitude Change: 15,580 ft to 17,604 ft (Cho-La Pass) to 15,900 ft (Dzongla)
Distance: 9-10 km
Time: 9-10 hours
Day 11 Trek form Dzongla to Lobuche
Altitude Change: 15,900 ft to 16,200 ft
Time: 3 hours
Day 12 Trek from Lobuche to Gorakshep. Day excursion to Everest Base Camp
Altitude Change: 16,200 ft to 16,900 ft
Time: 3 hours
Day 13 Trek to Kala Patthar, then Gorakshep to Pheriche
Altitude Change: 16,900 ft to 14,070 ft (Pheriche); Kala Patthar (18,200 ft)
Time: 8-9 hours
Day 14 Trek from Pheriche to Tengboche
Altitude Chnage: 14,070 ft to 12,664
Distance: 3 km
Time: 4-5 hours
Day 15 Trek from Tengboche to Namche Bazaar
Altitude Change: 12,664 ft to 11,290 ft
Time: 4 hours
Day 16 Trek from Namche Bazaar to Lukla
Altitude Change: 11,290 ft to 9,300 ft
Time: 7 – 8 hours
Day 17 Buffer Day
Day 18 Fly from Lukla to Kathmandu. Depart from Kathmandu
The level of this trek leans towards difficult, which naturally demands exceptional physical fitness, stamina and endurance. It is strongly advisable to have prior trekking experience of scaling at least 4,000 meters before you approach this trek, which means beginners should ideally stay away. Also, proper acclimatization is key here, which helps you better adjust to the high altitude and lower oxygen levels during the trek.
The best time for Everest Base Camp is from March to May, and September to October. The snow clears up a little, and the trail becomes clearer. Winters in this region are extremely harsh and cold, hence should be avoided.
Fly from Kathmandu
Daily flights fly from Kathmandu to Lukla, though these flights are subject to weather conditions. Which means flight delays are possible. Try to book the very first flight from Kathmandu.
Fly to Bagdogra, West Bengal, post which you head to Paani Tanki to cross the border and reach Kakarbhitta in Nepal.
From Kakarbhitta, reach Kathmandu by an evening bus. This is a 12-13 hour journey. Again, fly from Kathmandu to Lukla.
Cross the border from Gorakhpur, and board a bus to Kathmandu. Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla
The accommodation will be in mountain lodges and tea houses almost throughout the trek.
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines.
For a complete checklist, go to Trekmunk Checklist.