Dhumdhar Kandi Pass Trek
Uttarakhand | 12D/11N | 18,012 Ft.
May – June and September – October
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 3584.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Medium Group
All about the Dhumdhar Kandi Pass Trek.
The Dhumdhar Kandi Pass trek is well known for its treacherous trails and extreme weather conditions. DhumdharKandi Pass sits to the north of the Bandarpunch massif, and links the Bhagirathi valley with Rawaeen, part of the upper Tons Valley. The trail is flanked by icy glaciers on each side. These glaciers mother the magnificent rivers Yamuna and Bhagirathi, which drip down the massive snout. The trail stems from Jhala village, and is marked by the conflux of the river Sian Gad and Bhagirathi. Zooming through the treacherous Kalanag Icefall and Bandarpoonch Glacier, the trek ends a little beyond Ruinsara Tal, at the quiet little village of Sankri. What is now a well known trail, is believed to have been secretly traversed by invaders and traders to enter the isolated beauty of Tons. Though discovered by James Baillie in the year 1815, the pass remained virtually untouched till the year 1987, when an expedition was successfully led through.
Max Altitude – 5,490 m
Duration – 12 days
Level – Challenging (Technical)
1. One of the most treacherous and thrilling trails in Uttarakhand, the trek follows the infamous Kalanag Icefall, and Bandarpoonch Glacier.
2. The trek is ideal for young mountaineers, and pro trekkers having the fundamental knowledge of mountaineering techniques.
3. Bask in the breathtaking views of Black Peak, Swargarohini, and Bandarpoonch!
Day 1 : Reach Dehradun; Drive to Uttarkashi
Time Taken: 7 hrs drive
Day 2 : Drive from Uttarkashi to Jhala; Trek to Dorangatto
Altitude: 3,050 m
Time Taken: 2.5 hrs drive; 4 – 5 hrs trek
Day 3 : Trek from Dorangatto to Kiarkoti
Altitude: 3,525 m
Time Taken: 4 – 5 hrs
Day 4 : Rest & Acclimatisation day at Kirarkoti
Day 5 : Trek from Kiarkoti to Wodar
Altitude: 4,051 m
Time Taken: 4 hrs
Day 6 : Trek from Wodarto Sirkey Thathar
Altitude: 4,600 m
Time Taken: 5 hrs
Day 7 : Trek to Dharali ki Udiari via Dhumdhar Kandi Pass
Altitude at Pass: 5,490 m
Altitude at Campsite: 4,750 m
Time Taken: 10 hrs
Day 8 : Trek from Dharali ki Udiari to Ruinsara Tal
Altitude: 3,350 m
Day 9 : Trek from Ruinsara Tal to Dev Thach
Altitude: 3,000 m
Day 10 : Trek from Dev Thach to Bheduka
Altitude: 1,815 m
Day 11 : Trek from Bheduka to Taluka; Drive to Sankri
Day 12 : Drive from Sankri to Dehradun
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Accommodation and Food in Dehradun: Food and stay in Dehradun are not included in the package. You can book your hotels or homestays in Dehradun, we can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from Dehradun to Uttarkashi and Sankri to Dehradun is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
Whom is the trek for?
The Dhumdhar kandi trek is a technical one and climbs up to 5,490 meters. The challenging level of the trek combined with extreme high altitude demands rigorous physical fitness, endurance, and stamina, along with proper acclimatization. Only fit mountaineers who have scaled heights of at least 4,500 to 5,000 meters should undertake this expedition.
Which is the best season to attempt the trek?
The months of May, June, September, and October are ideal for this trek, and the weather is relatively more stable compared to winters. Monsoons should be avoided, as landslides are very frequent.
What weather conditions can be expected during the trek?
During summers and post monsoon months, the weather conditions are quite pleasing and calm. The cool summer breeze greets you, and the temperatures aren’t too harsh, unlike during winters. Though, post monsoons, the temperature drops considerably. One has to be vigilant, as the weather may change anytime once you cross certain altitude.
What things are needed to be carried?
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / post-monsoon well-experienced, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines.