Gaumukh Meru Glacier Trek
Uttrakhand to Himachal | 9D/8N | 16,000 Ft.
May – June and September – October
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 3934.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Difficult
- Group Size Medium Group
All about the Gaumukh Meru Glacier Trek.
Are you bored with the daily monotony? Well, here is a trek that you should try out to get the adrenaline to restore pack. Get past the coniferous trees at Chirbasa and birch at Bhojbasa, explore the retreating glacier at Gamukh which is the source of river Bhagirathi (which later becomes river Ganga), experience a trek of your lifetime by seeing the Himalayan giants such as the Bhagirathi massif, Mt. Shivling, Mt. Meru and many more. As a matter of fact Mt. Meru is one of the toughest peaks to climb in the entire world, with only a very recent successful attempt of the Sharks’ Fin route by Jimmy Chin, Conrad Anker & Renan Ozturk. Very interestingly, this peak (Mt. Meru) was once mythologized to be the center of the whole universe according to an old Indian mythological theory. The Mount Meru Base Camp trek starts from Gangotri and goes beyond the source of Ganga to the meadows of Tapovan. Although the Meru trek seems to be an easy one but isn’t for real. Keeping aside fitness, you also should have prior trekking experience. This trek is strictly not for beginners, you need to know about the equipment and how to use them. Trekking in Uttarakhand is always a pleasure with the shining white snow on the huge mountains at distance, and the typical trails with pine trees and meadows all around. So, enjoy the Meru Base Camp Trek in the holy Himalayas and get ready for a magnificent and thrilling experience that you will remember for a lifetime.
Duration: 9 Days
Level: Moderate to Difficult
- Go beyond the source of the holy Ganga.
- Explore the meadows of Tapovan
- Glaciers at Gomukh
- Peaks like the Bhagirathi massif, Mt. Shivling, Mt. Meru
Gaumukh Meru Glacier Detailed Itinerary
Day 1 : Driving from Haridwar to Camp Kuflon
You will be reaching Haridwar at 4 am the next day, which will give you a lot of time in hand in advance. Drive in a cab to Kuflon village also known as Camp Kuflon which is near the road head for Dodital. It is 11 km from Uttarkashi in the valley of Assi Ganga (which is a 5-hour drive). Stay the night at Kuflon. Alternatively, you can also cover more ground and reach Gangotri at 10,200 ft which will take you around 10-12 hours to reach. The drive will be mostly along the sacred banks of the river Bhagirathi. You can also explore the local markets and temples in the evening.
Day 2 : Camp Kuflon to Chirbasa
The next day, a 4-hour drive to reach Gangotri. After visiting some temples you can start your trek towards Gaumukh which is the source of the holy river Ganga. The trek is almost gradual thanks to the frequent trekkers and pilgrims. Just before reaching Chirbasa you will see the beautiful Bhagirathi peaks. Trek along the tree line and the river Bhagirathi and it will take you around 6 hours to reach Chirbasa which is at a height of 11,761 ft. After reaching, come down from the main trail and we will setup camp close to the river.
Day 3 : Chirbasa to Bhojbasa
You will have a comparatively relaxed day as you just have to trek 5 km which will take you around 3 hours of time. Bhojbasa is situated at a height of 12,450 ft. The trek from Chirbasa to Bhojbasa is a narrow one, where there are points where you won’t even find a clear way to tread upon and just a single wrong foot will take you some 164 ft down the hill. It is recommended that you take an evening walk to one of the high points nearby for better acclimatization of your body, also don’t forget to take your camera as you just might sight a group of ibexes and a beautiful sunset.
Day 4 : Bhojbasa to Tapovan
The next day walk for about 2 hours to reach Gaumukh at 13,123 ft which is the source of Ganga. Stay there for a while and admire the beauty of nature as river Ganga gushes out of the snout of the Gangotri glacier. After you are done, cross the glacier and start a steep ascent to reach Tapovan which is at 14,650 ft. The journey from Bhujbasa to Tapovan is a challenging one. The trek will take 3 hours from Gaumukh. Tapovan is the base camp of Mt. Meru and Mt. Shivling which is considered to be one of the most beautiful peaks in the world by climbers. Enjoy seeing Bharals (blue mountain goats) which is a common animal up there and get astonished by the sight of the Bhagirathi I, II and III with the majestic Mt. Shivling standing tall in front and Mt. Meru behind it.
Day 5 : Tapovan to Kirti Bamak Glacier/ Meru Glacier to Tapovan
Start your day early, following a full day trek to Kirti glacier. From here you can see the Kedardome peak, Kedarnath, Bhartekuntha, Thalay Sagar, Bhrigupanth, Meru and the majestic Shivling from the east. The trek will not be easy, as you will make it through the uncertain crevasses. You will be walking over a glacier, so you won’t know where there is a deep split marginally covered with snow. So take caution in walking over the ridges. After exploring the glacier return to the base camp, and feel the real sense of achievement. Enjoy hot dinner and camp overnight at Tapovan.
Day 6 : Rest day at Tapovan
Enjoy the day relaxing and exploring nearby places. Seeing a breathtaking view every time you step out of your tent is amazing. Enjoy the lush green meadow filled with wildflowers right at the foot of the giant Shivling. Spend your day walking around the campsite or interacting with sadhus. Get amused every time you look at those big, mountains covered in snow, read a book sitting at the lap of Mt. Meru and Mt. Shivling and do other stuffs to refresh yourselves.
Day 7 : Tapovan to Chirbasa
Leave early and bid adieu to these beautiful mountains and a wonderful campsite at Tapovan while heading back to Chirbasa. Enjoy the early morning sunrise while you trek down. The road from Tapovan leads you through the upper section of the meadow till down and finally onto the glacier. Explore the huge crevasses gaped here and there. You will take around 5 hours to reach Chirbasa at a height of 11,761 ft. The descent will be much faster than the ascent ever was. Reach Chirbasa and camp near the river, have hot dinner and stay overnight.
Day 8 : Chirbasa to Gangotri to Camp Kuflon
Have a hot breakfast at Chirbasa and continue walking down on your trail towards Gangotri which will take you around 4 hours to reach. After reaching Gangotri board one of the share cabs or get your personal one and drive back to Camp Kuflon and once again enjoy the comforts of hot water, barbeque and not to mention, campfire. At Gaumukh, if you want, you can also take a holy dip in the river Ganges. The water will be very chilly but it will be a lifetime experience that you would not want to miss.
Day 9 : Camp Kuflon to Haridwar
After a small hot breakfast at Camp Kuflon, drive to Haridwar which will be a long journey or alternatively you may also go to Dehradun and take a train or a flight from there. It will be much more convenient for many and much faster too. This will complete your Bhagirati Meru Glacier trek for this time.
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Transportation from Dehradun and back: Transportation from Dehradun/Haridwar to Camp Kuflon, Gangotri and back to Dehradun/Haridwar is included in the package.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee, etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Accommodation and Food in Dehradun: Food and stay in Dehradun is not included in the package. You can book your hotels or homestays in Dehradun, we can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from home town/Delhi to Haridwar/Dehradun is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides, etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
FAQs and Reviews
What is the style of accommodation in this trek?
You will be staying under the comforts of a hotel/homestay on day 1 and again on day 8 and day 9. Rest days you have to stay in a tent. Each tent will accommodate 2 trekkers.
What will the temperature be like during this trek?
In the day time, the temperature will be around pleasant 20-24 degrees if sunny or around 15 degrees if clouded. At night the temperature will range from 5-7 degrees and can drop to -2 to 3 degrees at Tapovan.
Which are the best months for this trek?
The best time for the Meru trek would be either between mid-May to mid-June or between September- October.
Will we find snow during the trek?
Well, that totally depends upon the amount of snowfall occurred in the preceding winter. But, you might find snow in May, especially at Tapovan. However, snow is very unlikely in September.