Uttarakhand | 8D/7N | 16,000 Ft.
May – June and September – October
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 288 Reviews4.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Moderate
- Group Size Medium Group
All about the Roopkund Trek.
When you opt for this trek, a lot of mystery is in store for you. Perched in the laps of mt. trishul, roopkund is a glacial lake that has over 500 skeletons of animals and men scattered on its banks. The icy cold weather is the reason for the preservation of the bones uptill now. Located in the Chamoli district of Garhwal himalayas it is one of the most picturesque treks. Walk on fresh powdery snow and feel shivers down the spine as the mystery of the skeleton lake unravels. The trek trails through mountainous rivers, enthralling ridges, lush forests and scenic meadows to give you an experience for lifetime.
Day 1 Reaching Base Camp
On the first day trekkers, will be taken to the base camp at Wan which is situated 7,700 ft above the sea level; this will take approximately 10-11hrs from Dehradun. Once we reach the base camp, the trekkers will be rested for the trek to begin from the next day.
Day 2 Trek to Ghaehroli Patal via Wan
We will trek to Ghaehroli Patal situated at 10,000 ft above sea level. This is approximately 4-5 hours trek.
Day 3 Trek from Ghaehroli Patal to Bedni Bugyal
On the third day of the trek we will go from Ghaehroli Patal to Bedni Bugyal which is situated at 11,500 ft above sea level. This trek will take approximately 4 hours. Bedni Bugyal is one of the biggest meadows of asia.
Day 4 Trek from Bedni Bugyal to Patar Nachauni
We will trek from Bedni Bugyal to Patar Nachauni situated at 12,700 ft from sea level, this trek usually takes approximately 4 hours.
Day 5 Trek to Bhagwabhasa - the summit base camp
We will be trekking from Patar Nachauni to Bhagwabhasa which is 14,100 ft above sea level. This trek takes about 5 hours. After we reach Bhagwabhasa we will be doing 3 hours’ steep ascent to Kalu Vinayak which is 14,300 ft above sea level and then we will be back to Bhagwabhasa.
Day6 Trek to Roopkund and back to Patar Nachauni
On this day, we will trek from Bhagwabasa to Roopkund which is 15,750 ft above sea level, and then further up to Junargali located 16,000 ft above sea level. We will return to Patar Nachauni via Bhagwabasa, this trek usually takes about 9 hours.
Day 7 Trek to Wan
We will be descending on this day from Patar Nachauni to Wan via Bedni; this will take approximately 6½ hours to Wan.
Day 8 Depart for Kathgodam
Last day of the trek and you will be driven from Wan to Dehradun. This will take approximately 10-11 hours. You can book your onward journey in the night.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Accommodation and Food in Dehradun: Food and stay in Dehradun are not included in the package. You can book your hotels or homestays in Dehradun, we can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from home to Dehradun and vice versa and travel expenses from Dehradun to Wan and vice versa is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
Who is this meant for?
Roopkund treks varies from moderate to difficult depending on the snow and weather conditions. The days are longer and the altitude high. This trek is not for beginners, one or more experience of small high altitude treks and you are good to go for this one
The best season for the trek?
There are two seasons for this trek. May and June is the white season when you can find snow and September, October is the green season when you can find meadows full of flowers and grass.
Any Phone Connections?
The base camp, Lohajung is well connected. You will find network as well as slow speed internet. It is very rare to find network in these high altitude treks but we pass through many valleys during trekking because of that we find network at some points during the trek.
What this trek gives you?
This trek is one of the most famous treks in India. You go through one of the biggest meadows in Asia, cross jungles and go above the tree line to see the mighty Mt. Trishul just in front of you, don’t forget the stories about the mysterious lake. And not the last, it gives you a life changing experience for sure.
What things are needed to be carried?
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines. For a complete checklist, download the checklist from the footer.