Mount Nun Climb
Ladakh | 22 D /21N | 23,409 ft
July to September
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 3584.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Small Group
All about the Mount Nun Climb.
A compact group of twin ranges crowning the Suru Valley (and overall Jammu-Kashmir) are Nun Kun mountains. The massif is the highest peaks of Zanskar range and are divided by a plateau covered with snow of around four kilometers. Suru Valley in itself one of the most wonderful valleys of Ladakh as a number of peaks surround it. It is one of the oldest and most adventurous treks. It will bring you close to the extreme serenity and paradisiacal beauty of Jammu and Kashmir.
In the Mount Nun Climb, our focus will be on just the Mountain Nun. The mountain was first explored as a trek through a French-Swiss Expedition along with Sherpas of India in 1953. J&K are considered to be as heavenly places and thus, they demand from you lot of acclimatization, that is, adapting and adjusting to the climate of Jammu-Kashmir, before heading towards their highest peaks.
Maximum Altitude – 23,409 ft
Duration – 22 Days
Difficulty Level – Ultimate
- Various popular monasteries
- Suru valley and Suru river
- Various stupendous and serene landscapes of Matho village, Stok village, Matho La, Nimu village
- Nun Peak
Day 1 : Reach and explore Leh (11438 ft)
Leh, capital of Ladakh, is an extremely cold, less populated and a very serene place, made so with the warmth of its residents. Spend a day acclimating your bodies. You are expected to move out, roam at various popular monasteries, Leh Palace, Khardung La Pass, market places etc, so as to adapt to the high-altitude temperatures.
Altitude – 11438 ft
Day 2 : Drive to Matho Village and Trek to Matho Chu (12467 ft)
We will drive from Leh for two to three hours reaching Matho Village which will serve as the beginning point of our climbing. We will then walk to the campsite near the river of Mathu Chu, continuing to acclimatise at the lower regions and spending our nights there.
Altitude -12467 ft
Day 3 : Trek to Gang Poche (14435 ft)
Today we will start early climbing over Mathu Chu over a small pass, reaching the highest point of the area. We will walk straight towards the Gang Poche, near the huts of the shepherds of the area. We will descend below Gang Poche on the surface where we will camp and spend our night.
Altitude – 14435 ft
Day 4 : Trek to Mankarmo (14272 ft)
We will start our two to three hours journey from Gang Poche to Matho La. You’ll see the various prayer flags in the way as it is a religious place. Then we will climb down to Mankarmo. The path is rough and steepy. You might encounter wild goats of the ranges and you’ll definitely will be able to see the picturesque of Kangri range.
Altitude – 14272 ft
Day 5 and Day 6 : Trek to Stok Village (11470 ft) and drive to Leh (11438 ft)
We will continue our trek walking towards the Stok Village. We will at a moderately higher altitude towards our way to the base camp, where we will spend the night. On the next day, we will exit through a Stok valley and enjoy an hour’s drive to Leh
Altitude – 11470-11438 ft
Day 7,8 and 9 : Drive to Kargil (9186 ft) and further to Tangol
We will start our journey again on four-wheelers today, by driving down the Indus Valley, seeing the popular sight of Nimu, reaching Kargil. After spending a night at Kargil, we will enjoy another drive to Tangol. You’ll have the first glimpses of twin peaks, Nun-Kun, passing through the Suru River. We will spend the night at camp.
Altitude – 9186 ft
Day 9 and 10 : Acclimatise at Nun Base Camp
On our next day, we will start hiking to the base camp of Nun. We will spend our next day relaxing, acclimatizing and getting prepare for your big day. We will enjoy at the base camp, rest in leisure and doing final preparations. You’ll have an amazing landscape before you to capture forever in your memories.
Day 11-20 : Climbing Period to Nun Peak
We will spend our next nine days climbing. It’ll be a tough nine days, where you’ll encounter many wonderful and cold natural sights and also, some really challenging moments. We will stop for three times in between at various altitudes, setting and spending the time at camps. The first camp will be at the altitude of 17,717 ft, second at 20,013 ft and third at 20,997 ft. Now you’ll finally realise why we spent half of our time, acclimatising!
Altitude – 20,997 ft
Day 21 and 22 : Trek to Tangol Base Camp and further drive to Leh (11438 ft)
After a tiresome and adventurous journey from Nun Base Camp to the Nun Peak, we will finally descend back to Tangol Base Campsite. We will spend our night at camp and on our last day together, we will have a relaxing drive back to Leh, from where we will bid adieu to each other.
Altitude – 11,438 ft
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Food in Leh: Food in Leh is not included in the package. We can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from home to Leh and vice versa is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
Is this trek very demanding?
The treks above 22,966 ft are exceptionally challenging and demands a lot of physical, mental and internal strength. You need to be ready technically as well due to higher altitudes, cranky terrains and extremely chilly temperatures. You’ll need a gear of your own at summit camps, which have tricky terrain, demanding physical strength.You’ll also have to carry your backpacks during the trek. Acclimatization is a prerequisite for such expeditions. Besides these, as it\'s a long trek, you are expected to have optimistic attitude, gentility and good hygiene.
Who can go for this trek?
The trek is for adventure and trek lovers. It demands mental strength, inner determination, good stamina and fierce passion to climb and readily taking up challenges. The trek is for those who have good physical and mental strength; who have already covered before various demanding treks or wants to prepare for climbing at the altitude of 26246 ft.
Will it affect my health?
You are expected to have mental strength and be physically very fit. If you are not prepared beforehand, you might lose some weight by the end of the trek.
Is it an easy trip?
We will be spending nine days on mountains and along with the strangers. You will be living a saintly life, working hard each day. Digging, setting-up tents/camps, helping camp-members, melting the snow for water and living on very natural simple food. Thus, in no way the trip is easy because it isn’t a trip but one of the ultimate trek! It’ll be like pilgrimage for trek lovers. You’ll learn patience, sharing, adjusting, teamwork etc.