Stok Kangri Winter Expedition
Ladakh | 12 D | 20,180 ft
December to March
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 3934.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Small Group
All about the Stok Kangri Winter Expedition.
Sitting charmingly on the lapse of Great Indian Himalayas is one of the most alluring places of Ladakh, Stok Range and more specifically, Stok Kangri (20,182 ft). Ladakh, a place filled with the calmness, attracts the trekkers from around the globe to its capital Leh, which is located around 11,975 ft above the sea level, thus making the place adventurously adorable. This range is different because of its solitude, ridges and an endearing landscape in winters. In fact, one can glance at the majestic view of Indus Valley and Zanskar in there wholesome from Stok’s peak.
The temperature goes very low in winters (around -35 to -40 degrees) and so, only very few climbers have been turned out victorious in climbing on Stok. The climbing needs determination, courage, excitement, and technique. It is a tough winter expedition, with another sour “cherry” on the top of harsh winters, i.e., freezing gust blows. Thus, one needs lots of mental and physical strength.
Overall, if you wish to learn high altitude trekking or try something extremely challenging, then pack up your bags because this is your trek!
Maximum Altitude – 20,180 Ft.
Duration – 11-12 Days
Difficulty Level – Ultimate<
Stok Kangri Winter Detailed Itinerary
Day 1 : Landing at Leh (11,438 ft)
Leh, capital of Ladakh, is an extremely cold, less populated and a very serene place, made so with the warmth of its residents. Have an exciting landing on one of the highest airports of the world on the Greater Himalayas. Reach the hotels and gear up yourselves for the upcoming day.
Altitude – 11,438 ft
Day 2 : Adapt to the climate and stroll
On your second day, you’ll be expected to travel. Move out, wander around the city and adapt to the chilly temperatures of Leh. Just acclimate yourself to the climate of “the land of high passes”. Reach back to the hotel, stretch yourself on the bed and a have good night sleep for the next day.
Altitude – 11,438 ft
Day 3 : Trek to Changma and drive to village Stok (13,123 ft)
Enjoy the wonderful landscapes, from Leh to the Stok Village. In between the journey, you’ll see the Indus river. We will follow keep on following the stream while we trek till the Changma Campsite, to make ourselves acclimatised while we trek and will spend the night there itself.
Altitude – 13,123 ft
Day 4 : Trekking till Mounkarmo (Winter Camp) from Changma Campsite (14,108 ft)
On our day fourth, we will initiate the day by passing above the Changma, covering a small passage and further of 984 ft more, till we reach Mounkarmo Winter Base Camp. This trek will be like a warm up for everyone. We will spend the night here and prepare ourselves more for upcoming days and challenges.
Altitude – 14,108 ft
Day 5 and Day 6 : Transferring our back-loads and staying back at the Base
Your loads will be transferred to the Stok Glacier before you. We will remain at the base for two more days to come so as to continue our acclimatisation as the further journey will require it. Thus, we will prepare our bodies for it beforehand. This will be a challenging yet a fun summit.
Altitude – 14,108 ft
Day 7, 8 and 9 : Trek from the Base to Stok Kangri (20,187 ft)
The real adventure begins here! We will be climbing from the Mounkarmo winter base camp to the summit camp and from the summit camp we will keep climbing the Stok range till we reach the peak, Stok Kangri. The temperature at the summit can drop to -40 degrees and the chilly winds are common at this range.
Altitude – 20,187 ft
Day 10 : In case of fortuitous
The three days of trekking on the Stok is not an easy one. The utter cold climate and freezing wind, can go worse. Also, there can be loss of oxygen and trekkers might find it tough to complete the trek. For overcoming any such contingencies, we have backed up an extra day, in case of any kind of emergency.
Altitude – 14,108 ft – 20,187 ft
Day 11 : Moving Back to Hotel at Leh (11,438 ft)
As soon as we will complete our goal and reach the destination, we will hike back to the Stok village. From the village we will have a blissful and relaxing drive back to our hotel, which we left behind at Leh. We will spend the rest of our time there until the next morning.
Altitude – 11,438 ft
Day 12 : Airport and reaching back home
After a successful trekking from the Stok village to Stok Kangri and accumulating millions of memories, we will finally pack up our bags, reach the Leh airport and adieu the wonderful state, finally reaching back to our respective sweet homes.
Altitude – 11,438 ft
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Food in Leh: Food in Leh is not included in the package. We can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from home to Leh and vice versa is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
FAQs and Reviews
Who can go for this trek?
Stok Kangri Trek is not a kid’s play. You need to be mentally and physically prepared and strong. If you are an experienced trekker, then here’s the trek which will challenge you at each point.
Best time to try this trek?
Go for months like, July or August, if you wish it to be less challenging. The peaks are adorned with snow and trails are strikingly charming on the rocky surface of Himalayas. But if you wish the trek to be really extremely adventurous and you are a professional trekker, then go for tougher winter months.
Expected weather condition?
During the day, the weather remains quite clear and temperature remains around 11 degree. As the night falls, temperature starts to drop too and during summits, can reach to -35 degrees.
I’m not a very experienced trekker. Should I go for this trek?
This is one of the toughest trekking destinations and very few trekkers have been able to complete it during winters. Above that, the range remains restricted during summers. It is advisable to not to try out this trek, if you haven’t been on any such ultimate treks before. If you still wish to take up the challenge, then be prepared, mentally and physically. Or you can try out other similar options with less difficulty level.