Barsey Sanctuary Trek
Ladakh | 7 D /6N | 11,482 ft
October to May
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 3584.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Easy
- Group Size Medium Group
All about the Barsey Sanctuary Trek.
Geographically smaller state, Sikkim, is a paradisiacal mountain landscapes, which has Khangchendzonga along with many varying ranges. It is almost like a heaven for mountaineers and is one of the places where there are many religiously significant peaks, covered in snow. It is shelter for many wild plants and animals too, as it has lots of deep forests and also conservation sanctuaries at quite high altitudes. There is 10 square kilometer dense wilderness, which actually is Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary. It gives space to diverse species of Rhododendron, Red Panda (endangered specie) Pine, Oaks, Magnolia, Primula and various kinds of endangered birds. The sanctuary also have variety of forests like Mixed Broadleaf, Conifer, Sub-Tropical and also Alpine Meadows.
Precisely, it is one of the easiest trek, which will be more like a picnic. If you are with a family or group of friends and are planning to spend the time near nature, where it’ll be fun, calming and peaceful, along with some adventure, out somewhere, then Barsey Sanctuary Trek is a thumbs-up!
Maximum Altitude – 11,483 Ft.
Duration – 7 Days
Difficulty Level – Easy
- Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary
- SSB Unit Camps
- Phoktey Dara, from where you might be able to see Khangchendzonga and Everest Ranges.
- Deoningai Dali campsite
- Rhondonderous filled valleys
- Orchid nurseries at Kalimpong
Day 1 : Reach Uttarey ( 6,600 ft)
You can reach Uttarey by first reaching at Bagdogra and then enjoying a drive to Pelling via Singshore bridge and finally Uttarey. It’ll be a long journey from Bagdogra to Uttarey, of around 10-11 hours. It is advisable that you reach here a day before, so you can gear up for the trekking routine the next day.
Altitude – 6,600 ft
Day 2 : Trek to Chitre (8,340 ft)
You’ll meet your group the next day at the decided place where everyone will gather. From there we will walk through the wilderness of Rhododendron Forest towards Chitre. You’ll smell the aroma of various trees, oaks and sometimes orchids. We will reach a surface of SSB Unit Camps, near which we will spend our night in a camp.
Altitude – 8,340 ft
Day 3 : Trek to Kalijhora and Phoktey Dara Excursion (11,482 ft)
We will resume towards steep terrains of Chiwabhanjhang, towards another army campsite and will turn towards the Singalila Ridge. We will reach Kalijhora and after lunch, will ascend towards Phoktey Dara, from where you might be able to see Khangchendzonga and Everest Ranges. We will spend the night at camp.
Altitude – 11, 482 ft
Day 4 : Trek to Achalay
After having our morning meal, we will march towards the dense jungle, through which we will reach the small peak at Achalay. This peak is a vantage point to have a look at world’s highest peaks. We will not stay here for the night but walk for another forty-five minutes towards Joributey. The campsite at Achalay, sometimes doesnt have water, thus we will spend our night at Joributey campsite.
Day 5 : Trek to Deoningai Dali (9,186 ft)
Today we will climb on one of the most amazing paths, where you’ll encounter as it is filled with many white Rhododendrons. We will leave the wild forest areas behind and reach Deoningali Dhap. The campsite gives an astonishing view of all the great peaks and is a major attraction for tourists as it is popular for the Wild Bears and for “Deoningali” which is a special specie of Bamboo. Locals use it to weave things for domestic purposes.
Altitude – 9,186 ft
Day 6 : Trek to Barsey (9,022 ft)
After having a relaxing sleep at the campsite of Deoningali, we will resume our climbing the next day, again amidst the forests and trunks filled with Orchids and mosses on every other tree. We might end up seeing the rhondonderous filled valleys. We will spend the night at camp.
Altitude – 9,022 ft
Day 7 : Trek to Hilley (8,530 ft) and drive back to Kalimpong (4,091 ft)
On our last day of the trip, we will trek towards Hilley. Barshley and Hilley also have lodged on both sides. We will have a drive to Kalimpong town. The day will be spent exploring the town famous for its orchid nurseries. After dinner, we will bid each other adieu.
Altitude – 8,530 ft – 4,091 ft
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from NJP to Uttarey and Kalimpong is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
Who can go for this trek?
This is one of the easier treks. If you are with a family or a group of friends, planning to spend the time in a maiden natural place or somewhere little adventurous yet calming and peaceful then Barsey Sanctuary Trek is a good option. If you are someone who just wishes to give a start to your trekking journey on Himalayan ranges, then it is again a good option.
How many hours we are expected to walk on an average day?
The altitudes are moderate and thus temperatures are moderate too. The maximum altitude is 11,483 ft. On an average trek day, you’ll be expected to walk for four to five hours, climbing on the mountain paths. On a few days of the trip, you might have to walk for six hours a day.
Will I get time to relax my mind?
We will walk a maximum for six hours on the odd days of our trek. Thus, you’ll spend most of your time completely relaxing your minds and souls, completely away from stress. In fact, it’ll be more like a pilgrimage for you.