Kanamo Peak Trek
Himachal Pradesh | 7D/6N | 19,553 Ft
(Kaza to Kaza)
July – August
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 1 Review5/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Difficult
- Group Size Small Group
If you are looking for a glacial mountain trek in its truest and rawest form with next to no pre- requisite knowledge of climbing, this is the one you are looking for. Kibber, once the highest inhabited village in the world is the starting point of kanamo peak which literally translates to ‘a white lady’ ( ka- white; namo- a lady ). The trek has a landscape that bears the mark of thousands years of erosion by natural elements. Adding to the excitement, the base camp is situated next to a water body named chandratal. Camping beside the lake is an experience as satisfying and enriching as the climbing to the summit. The lake gets its name from the fact that it is shaped like a half- moon. In short, the best way for one to experience a climb to 19,600 ft in India. To put a cherry on the top, you can enjoy rafting activities and visit monasteries around the area before and after the trek.
- Includes all cost of the trek from Kaza to Kaza
- All accommodation during the trek on sharing basis in tents/homestays
- All meals during the trek – Vegetarian
- Tents, Sleeping bags and all other Camping Gear (Dining Tent, Tiolet Tent etc)
- Safety Equipment (Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinders, Oximeter etc.)
- Services of our expert Trek Leader
- Services of an Expert Trekking Team (Guides, Cooks, Helpers, Porters/Mules)
- Trekking Permits and Forest Camping Charges (For Indians Only)
- A Life Changing Experience
- GST and Other Taxes (As applicable, Subjected to change according to Govt. Rules)
- Food in Kaza
- Meals during transit from Manali to Kaza and vice versa
- Trekking Permits and Forest Camping charges for Foreigner’s (If extra compared for Indian Citizens)
- Backpack Offloading Charges (Portage of Personal Bags)
- Personal Trekking Gear
- Travel Expenses to and fro Kaza from home city or Manali
- Tips for local team
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, Bottled Water etc
- Any Requirement for Single Room/Single Tent Accommodation
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control
- Anything which is not mentioned in Inclusions
Day 1 Drive from Manali to Kaza
Altitude: 6,700 ft to 12,500 ft
Time taken: 10 hours, 204 km
You will cross Rohtang la and Kunzum la on this day. We will board the vehicle from Manali and will start our onward journey into the spiti valley. The roads are bad, distance is long but the view will keep you busy. From Batal, the real spiti valley comes in picture. You will reach Kaza in the evening and a hotel or homestay will be arranged for you there. The acclimatization process will start on this day.
Reach Manali on the previous day. It will take around 14 hours from Delhi via Bus. Book Himachal Government Buses only as they are most reliable. Check in a Hotel and enjoy Mall Road, Hidimba Temple and few other attractions on this day.
Day 2 Drive from Kaza to Kibber
Altitude: 12,500 ft to 14,100 ft
Time taken: 1 hour Drive
This day will start with a 1 hour drive to Kibber village. It is one of the highest inhabited villages in the world, you will feel like you are in the pages of history on the first look of this village.
Key Monastery is the most famous attraction of this village. You will be taken for an acclimatization walk to make you used to the thin air after which you can explore Kibber Village.
Day 3 Trek from Kibber to Kanamo Peak Base Camp
Altitude: 14,10 ft to 15,800 ft
Time taken: 6 hours, 5km
On this day, the real trek starts. Steep ascend for first 3 to 4 hours and then evens out for the next few hours. The view is breath taking and wind is too strong. You will find many fossils lying around Kanamo base camp. You will stay in tents on this day.
Day 4 Acclimatization day at Kanamo base camp
This day will be acclimatization day. You will stay at the base camp, get used to the thin air and rest for the next days summit climb.
Day 5 Kanamo base camp to Kanamo peak and back to base camp
Altitude: 15,800 ft to 19,553 ft and back
Time taken: 12 -13 hours to and fro
The Trek starts at around 3 am and it is a total ascend from the start. You reach the shoulder of the peak at dawn and see the view for the first time. After this for the next 4-5 hrs, it is an ascent at a 80 degree slop as it is the final ascent to the summit. After reaching the summit, you will have a 360 degree view of the Greater Himalayas, Parang La, Pin Parvati Pass.
It will take 3 hours to descent to the base.
Day 6 Trek from Basecamp to Kibber and drive to Kaza
Altitude: 15,800 ft to 12,500 ft
Time taken: 6 hours, including drive to Kaza from Kibber
Trek back to Kibber via the same route and then a small ride to Kaza. You will stay in a Hotel or homestay in Kibber.
Day 7 Drive from Kaza to Manali
Next day is an early morning ride back to Manali so that you can reach there on time to catch up with your onward travel plan back home.
The altitude is the most difficult part in this trek. You need to be moderately fit for this trek and need time to properly acclimitise for the thin air. This trek is moderate and can be done by anyone who has experience of high altitude treks.
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a daypack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines.
For a complete checklist, go to Trekmunk Checklist.