Kanchendzonga Round Trek
Sikkim | 16D/15N | 16,500 Ft.
March-May to September-November
(Above mentioned cost is for a fixed departure)
- Reviews 312 Reviews4.9/5
- Vacation Style High Altitude Trek
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Small Group
All about the Kanchendzonga Round Trek.
One of the least explored trails in India, the Kanchendzonga Trek is perfect for those seeking respite from the madding crowds. Bouts of uninterrupted silence await you as you’re embraced by some of the most striking Himalayan surroundings! The trek is towered by the some of the mightiest snow-clad peaks, including the marvelous Mt. Kanchendzonga. What’s better is that you can an unrivaled vantage point! Seeing herds of beautiful yaks grazing on the verdant grass is also a common sight on this trek. The trek takes you through Nepal for the first few days, post which the trail eventually re-enters India, making it a quite mesmerising experience. It begins from the quiet little village of Uttarey, and plunges you deep into the dense forests for 2 days straight. It also allows you to tread the more popular Yuksom-Dzongri-Goechala trail, pushing you to its highest point, Goechala, which sits at an astounding 4,960 m!
Max. Altitude- 4,984 m
1. The mighty Kanchendzonga peak watches over you throughout!
2. Unexplored and offbeat trails with unprecedented views.
3. Trek through Yuksom and Dzongri to Goechala
Day 1 : Arrive at Kalimpong from Bagdogra
Day 2 : Drive from Kalimpong to Pelling (2,250 m), 4-5 hours
Day 3 : Drive from Pelling to Uttarey, and Trek to Chitre (2,680 m), 2-3 hours
Day 4 : Trek from Chitre to Chiwabhajang (3,150 m); Rest and Acclimatise, 2-3 hours
Day 5 : Trek from Chiwabhajang to Dhor (3,700 m), 7-8 hours
Day 6 : Trek from Dhor to Pharey Megu (3,920 m), 5-6 hours
Day 7 : Trek from Pharey Megu to Lam Pokhari (4,200 m), 3-4 hours
Day 8 : Trek from Lam Pokhari to Yangseb (4,300), 6-7 hours
Day 9 : Trek from Yangseb to Pangding (4,275 m), 4-5 hours
Day 10 : Trek from Panging to Dzongri (4,000 m), 4-5 hours
Day 11 : Rest and Acclimatise at Dzongri
Day 12 : Trek from Dzongri to Lamuney (4,150 m), 5-6 hours
Day 13 : Trek from Lamuney to Goechala (4,984 m), and Descend to Thangsing (3,930 m), 8-10 hours
Day 14 : Trek from Thangsing to Tshoka (2,900 m), 5 hours
Day 15 : Trek from Tshoka to Yuksom (1,750 m), 5 hours
Day 16 : Drive from Yuksom to Bagdogra, 6 hours
The tour package inclusions and exclusions at a glance.
- Accommodation: All accommodation on the trek will be on twin sharing basis in Tents or Homestays. Any accommodation in a hotel/guest house/hostel (if mentioned in the itinerary and not mentioned in exclusions) will be in a 2-3 star accommodation unless mentioned otherwise.
- Trek Leader and Guides: A team of an experienced and certified Trek Leader, as well as a professional guide, will accompany you for the trek.
- Services of a Professional Trekking Team: A team of an experienced Cook, Camp Staff, Porters/Mules will accompany you for all the arrangements on the trek.
- Meals: All Meals on the Trek are included. We will serve Vegetarian Indian food on the trek which will be cooked by our high altitude chefs. It will be a five meal plan including Morning Tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks and Dinner. You will be provided with clean mountain water from the streams to drink. You can carry water purification tablets if you deem necessary but we advise otherwise.
- Trekking and Safety Equipment: All the camping equipment such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Toilet Tents, Dining Tent, Mattresses, and other things will be provided by us and we guarantee the quality. Safety Equipment including Medical kit, Oxygen Cylinder, Oximeter, Crampons & Gaiters(if required) will be provided by us. We recommend you to bring your own sleeping bags if possible.
- Permits and Forest Camping Charges: Only for Indian Clients, All the applicable trekking permits, Camping Charges, Forest Entry Fee etc will be paid by us. Foreigners have to pay these charges if not mentioned.
- A Life Changing Experience: We assure you that by trekking in the Himalayas you will have a life changing experience and we will do everything we can to provide you with the best services and make your venture in the wild an unforgettable one.
- GST and Other Taxes: The goods and services tax is not included in the price mentioned with the trek. They will be charged once you add the trek in your cart. They are subjected to change according to government rules of India.
- Accommodation and Food in Bagdogra: Food and stay in Bagdogra are not included in the package. You can book your hotels or homestays in Bagdogra, we can recommend a few good options.
- Flights and Transportation: Flights or other means of transport is not included in the package. Transportation from Bagdogra to Kalimpong and Yuksom to Bagdogra and travel expenses to and fro Bagdogra from home city is not included in the package. We can arrange a cab for you according to your requirements but you will be liable to pay for the same. Any expenses occurred during the journey are not included in the package cost.
- Personal Trekking Equipment: Your Rucksack, personal clothing, shoes, trek poles, and other personal trekking gear is not included in this package. You have to bring your own gear according to that weather and difficulty of the trek.
- Portage of Personal Bags(Offloading): We highly advise you to carry your own burden (your rucksack) but due to any reason if you wish to not carry your rucksack, we can arrange for a porter/mule to carry it. For this service, you will be charged over and above the trek cost. The charges for offloading vary with every trek.
- Travel Insurance: Travel Insurance is not included in this package. We recommend you to have travel insurance before opting for such adventures.
- Personal Expenses: Any personal expenses incurred (laundry, Bottled Water, Beverages, snacks, orders tea houses or dhabas, Tips for guides etc) are not included in the package.
- Emergency Expenses: Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control are not included in the package.
- Anything not mentioned in Inclusions of the package.
Questions about the Trek
Whom is the trek for?
Falling into the category of challenging treks, the Kanchendzonga Round trek demands commendable physical fitness, stamina and endurance coupled with proper acclimatisation to adapt to the extreme high altitude and low oxygen levels. It is advisable for people with experience of high altitude trekking, who have scaled at least 3,800 meters. Beginners should ideally avoid this trek.
What temperatures can be expected on the trek?
The temperatures oscillate between 12 to 15 degrees in daytime, and plummet to 3-5 degrees at night. Higher altitudes see a further drop to chilling sub zero degrees.
Which is the best season to attempt this trek?
The most ideal seasons for this trek are Spring (March to May) and Autumn (September to November), when the weather conditions are relatively milder. The ambience is pleasant, with moderate temperatures.
What things are needed to be carried?
Rucksack, high ankle trekking shoes, one fleece jacket, one down feather / hollofil jacket, 3 pairs of quick dry T-shirts and trek pants, 5-6 pairs of socks, balaclava, a day pack, sunscreen SPF 50+, scarf, towel, lip balm, headlamp / torch, 2 water bottles of 1 litre, and personal medicines. For a complete list, download the checklist from the footer.